Navigation Menu

Baker Yeast or Turbo ?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Baker Yeast or Turbo ?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Soonershine
      Participant

I read somewhere not to use the high doller turbo yeast an just use Baker Yeast it was what they had back in the day ??

I personally never use turbo yeast- I don’t like the cost but mainly I feel that turbo yeast leaves behind a bad taste in the washes.
      I personally use a lot of brewing yeast- I like ale yeast, ( bry97, us05, etc) wine yeast, bread yeast, champagne yeast, distillers yeast

I use bread yeast on my rum recipe as I like the flavor it brings out in the mash
      I like to use ale yeast on fruits and corn

you can use any yeast along with yeast nutrients which will ferment a big mash
      You can also use a product such as Amyloglucosidase which is an enzyme used to break down complex starches and sugars -which allows for very low ending gravities.

I always recommend making a 10 gallon batch of a mash-
      split the batch into 2 fermenter
      pitch 2 different yeasts
      see which one you prefer

MashMaster
      Participant

I only use turbo when I make a sugar shine. I try and get close to 20% on my sugar shine and the turbo does a good job. I strip all of the flavor out of this wash though, I would not use it on anything other than neutral spirit.

Soonershine
      Participant

Im making corn mash in 30gal. fermenter with a air-lock(I made it myself). I put 25lb corn,100lb sugar,23gal water,2 packs of turbo(2/3 cup ea.),3 & 1/2 cups red star yeast 4 cups total. This is where I having my problem is with the yeast I tryed alot of recipes an just can’t get the yeast right any help ???

Ok-
      so the starting gravity for 23 gallons of water with 100 pounds of sugar (without any sugar the corn may add) will give a starting gravity of 1.197… which if the yeast could ferment down to 1.000 would be over 25%. That is too much for the yeast to handle.
      Yeast is not going to be able to ferment that down – you are just wasting sugar.

I would not push any yeast over 20% (I personally don’t push over 18% with sugar)

I would add 60 pounds of sugar should give you around a possible 15% (that is without adding any sugar the corn might add) if it ferments down to 1.000

What kind of corn are you using?

Soonershine
      Participant

crack corn from the feed store 50lb. bag

Cracked Corn won’t give you much sugar unless you are mashing at a really high temperature with enzymes.
      what is your mash process?

I’d do the same mash using 60 pounds of sugar and use 12 packs of bread yeast. It might not hurt to add some yeast nutrient as well.

Soonershine
      Participant

I don’t have a set mash recipe this is the frist time I have made corn mash in a long time Im trying them paint strainer bags I run sugar shine most of the time. I don’t know of this nutrient ? this is all new to me Im just grtting started if I may ask how do you do the % water to sugar to corn to yeast ?

Soonershine
      Participant

Im not getting my e-mail from here so Im checking back

You can buy nutrient any homebrew shop. Click HERE for a link

When making a mash add sugar a little at a time until your hydrometer reads around 1.1 for a sugar shine.(if you don’t have a hydrometer click here)

You might have issues pushing the yeast that hard and might be better off starting with a bit lower starting gravity.

Soonershine
      Participant

I do have a hydrometer(just got it) not sure how to use it yet not much info. came with it.I well check with my brew shop here to see if they have yeast nutient

Soonershine
      Participant

My brew shop has the yeast nutient in 8oz. what the % of that to yeast ?

The nutrient should say on the package- Usually around one teaspoon per gallon of wash.

Checkout the link I sent earlier on the hydrometer , also check youtube for hydrometer videos-

Soonershine
      Participant

Ok Im going to start a new mash with 25lb. corn,60lb sugar,3t.yeast(red star) an 1 pack yeast nutient(8oz.) to 23gal. water P.S. I do boil my corn what do you think ?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I would boil the corn for an hour or so with about 10 gallons of water
      add cold water to cool it down to around 155
      once it is at 155 add Amylase Enzyme
      stir the emzyme into the mash- let it sit for an hour or so
      after you let it mash for an hour or so
      add the rest the water needed
      once the mash is around 80 degrees add the yeast

that sounds like a plan

Soonershine
      Participant

Is the Amylase Enzyme the same as the nutient

They are different.

pickup both at the brew shop- or click the link above to order online

Soonershine
      Participant

at the brew shop here Im looking online the only Enzyme I see is Pectic Enzyme(1oz.) Is this the same ? they have yeast Nutrient an Energizer

That is not the same- I’d just order a 1 pound bag online– as corn won’t convert without it.
      (that will last a while)

Soonershine
      Participant

Thanks guy’s I m going to put a new mash together as soon as I run the one I got now.I got the enzyme an nutrient I’ll let you know how it goes

Great- if you are going to use the Amylase Enzyme I’d take a hydrometer reading after you mash for 60 minutes.
      Boil the corn for an hour or – then cool to 155 and add the Amylase Enzyme and mash for an hour you will get some good conversion from the conn. The Amylase Enzyme will convert the starch from the corn into sugar. Take a hydrometer reading as you will need to add less sugar.

Keep us posted

Soonershine
      Participant

Ok the mash I had going the one with 25lb. cron,100lb sugar,4 cups yeast(1 1/2 cups turbo an2 1/2 cups red star) an 23 gal. water I got 5gal. of 130 proof

JimmySutton
        Keymaster

Soonershine, sounds about right to me. I was calculating a max yield of 7 gallons of 100 prof (assuming that the corn was just for flavor and wasn’t contributing any sugar). If you proofed your 5 gals of 130 down to 100 you’d have 6.5 gallons. Did you make cuts or is it all mixed together?

Soonershine
      Participant

Jimmy – no I didn’t cut it. Im going to start a new bach with 25lb. corn(Im going to boil the corn an I have Amylase Enzyme to add),60lb. sugar,25gal. water. Im not sure how much red star(baker yeast) to add I do have yeast Nutrient to add as well any help ?

Viewing 22 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register