Blue tint

on

Home Forum… Still Discussion Blue tint

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      In The Rock Ga
      Participant

I have a 75 gallon stainless steel still with an 1 1/4 copper pipe coming from the cap 7 feet to a copper worm…three times in the last 2 years my finished product has come out with a light blue tint I was told it was because I got the mash too hot too fast and that only happens with stainless steel equipment is this in fact the case

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I’ve had this happen on my 25 gallon copper pot. I have only had it happen on stripping runs where I am running hot and fast. I normally do a stripping run (hot and fast) and then do a proper spirit run.

Is this happening on a stripping run or a spirit run?

In The Rock Ga
      Participant

Sprit….I’ve probably made 20 runs in the last 2 yearsI’ve probably made 20 runs in the last 2 yearsit’s only happened 3 timesdidn’t affect the flavor of my hearts

In The Rock Ga
      Participant

maybe I’m just heating it up too fast sometimes

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I’ve only noticed it in my tails- is it happening during the entire run or just towards the end?

I’ve heard that copper salts can cause this as well. How are you cleaning the copper? I use PBW religiously on my stills- I run it though all of my copper parts as well. I’m super paranoid about copper salts- they are nothing to mess with.

What are you heating the 30 gallon with? Do you have a large propane burner? How long does it take to heat up?
      are you running a thumper or column?

In The Rock Ga
      Participant

it takes me about 3 to 4 hours for the run to start and then another two or three hours till I get to my tales I’m using a turkey fryer burner…I’ve had it do it at the beginning and the end ….today it started at the beginning with my heads has gotten a lot lighter but it still there… I do not have a thumper …I’m not sure what you are calling a column unless you are speaking of these new style pots with a tall cap that don’t have a traditional worm I’ve only seen pictures of them ….I have 75 gallon stainless steel pot with a stainless steel cap the copper tube comes out at 90 degrees of the cap runs through a 7-foot 1 1/4 copper tube then to a copper worm

BeverageCommander
      Participant

You are running your still way faster than I run mine.

I takes my 20 gallon about 1.5 hours to get up to temp. Once I am up to temp it takes me another 6-8 hours to run the still. I run mine pretty slow but I’ve had great results doing that.

I would just slow down the run- I like to see the individual drips out of the still– I keep right below a slow stream. Maybe try slowing it down by half the output- it will take longer but I’ve found that slower is better. Obviously there is a point where you can run it too slow- you don’t want to be sitting in front of the still for 20 hours- but for 30 gallon run I would have no issues hanging out in front of it for 8-10 hours. If you run it slower you will get a higher starting proof and should be able to collect more and cleaner hearts out of the run.

In The Rock Ga
      Participant

sorry it took so long to get back with you your last two messages came in through my email I responded back through my email and they came back to me…Thank you I turned it down as you suggested I think I need a smaller still

I put the flame to it at 7:45ish this morning it didn’t start dripping until 11:30 or 12 and at this point I have a little over a gallon if it takes you 8 hours to run 20 gallon pot I’m looking at over 24 hoursI never have had a good steady streamlittle drip a little bit then run steady and drip a little bit and run steadyit takes me 3 to 4 hours to get up to temperature….what is PBW do you run it through the steel or do you pour it in the copper pipes

BeverageCommander
      Participant

a 75 gallon still sounds like a full time job. I now a few distilleries that are running 50 gallon stills- mostly for stripping.

PBW- pro brewery wash – it is a cleaner made for the brewing industry but works great on stlls… you can get it on amazon or any homebrew shop.

I heat it up in the still- boil it though the copper – then rise it well after

In The Rock Ga
      Participant

Did you receive any more poast from me….they’re not showing up on the forum and more

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Just this last one.
      Are you posting on the forum? You can’t reply to the email

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I choose to be safe- copper poising is a real thing: We don’t drink out of the statue of liberty

No blue/green in any of my stills

BeverageCommander
      Participant

The suggested safe level of copper in drinking water for humans varies depending on the source, but tends to be pegged at 2.0 mg/l

Not trying to spread fear- just being safe. Why not just clean the still?

PBW works great as does vinegar as you stated.

In The Rock Ga
      Participant

Been running almost 12 hrs commander… at 3 .5 gal thank you both for you time and knowlage

Viewing 13 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register