Navigation Menu

Cornmeal mash recipe?

on

Home Forum… Recipes/Ingredients Cornmeal mash recipe?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Spawnman
      Participant

I was wanting to try a simple cormeal mash recipe with sugar and baking yeast in a 5 gallon pale. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much sugar cornmeal and yeast should be used for a 5 gallon pale? Thanks!

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

So for a 5 gallon mash:
      5 gallons of water
      5 pounds of corn meal
      5 pounds of sugar

Heat the water to around 90-100 degrees
      Turn off the heat to the burner
      Add the corn meal to the water and stir very well
      Add the sugar and mix until completely dissolved

Add yeast once the mash has cooled to the high 70’s

Spawnman
      Participant

Thanks! How long should I expect this to ferment before its ready to run? I am guessing 10 to 14 days or when it stops bubbling and it doesn’t taste sweet anymore.

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

Two weeks it should be done and the yeast should be nice and settled. It will most likely be done fermenting in 1 week. The only real way to know for sure is to use a hydromter and take readings of the mash- when the gravity does not change for 2 consecutive days it is finished.

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/11938081-making-moonshine-how-to-know-when-fermentation-is-finished-part-2

Spawnman
      Participant

Thanks! Any idea how much shine I can expect to get out of a 5 gallon mash? Could I ad fruit to the mash for flavor and an extra kick? Maybe berries or something?

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

A 5 gallon run with a starting alcohol of 10%, a final proof of 100, and a collection efficiency of 85% will yield .85 gallons.

I always add fruit after it is distilled- that way you get more flavor — distilling will remove most of the flavor from fruit.
      Just put some fruit in the jars and let them soak in the goodness.

Spawnman
      Participant

Now I have read and seen in youtube videos that you need to use Amylase Enzymes to convert the starch from corn into sugar. Is this really needed or is there a cheaper product I can buy at the local store that will do the same thing?

Spawnman
      Participant

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I always use flaked maize- it is processed in such a way that it will easily convert the starches into sugar during the mash process:

you can get flaked maize from any homebrew shop— not to be confused with cracked corn or anything else.

http://www.biyhomebrewsupply.com/products/flkmaize1lb

You will need enzymes for cracked corn- I’ve never used cornmeal as that just sounds like a mess

Spawnman
      Participant

Does the cornmeal need to be boiled first before mixing it with the sugar?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I would heat the cornmeal up to 170 or so- Add the sugar and stir- Let it cool back down to 150 and add some malted barley and let it mash at 150 for 60-90 minutes.

This way the enzymes in the malted barely can help convert the starches in the cornmeal into fermentable sugar. I would think without using enzymes you are going to have a mess of grits!

Spawnman
      Participant
      Spawnman
      Participant

Also how much yeast should I use for a 5 gallon mash pale? Thanks!

BeverageCommander
      Participant

If you use the enzymes you won’t need the malted barley. Just follow the directions on the enzymes..different enzymes convert at different temperatures.

I use two packs of bread yeast in my corn mashes.

Spawnman
      Participant

Is the flaked maize really needed or can I do without it? Or is there an alternative I can buy at a local grocery store that will work the same? Thanks!

BeverageCommander
      Participant
Viewing 15 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register