Navigation Menu

Adding sugar reduces the proof ?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Adding sugar reduces the proof ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin V. Jr.
      Participant

Yesterday i made another run, now i got a few gallons shine that’s 100 proof. My wife likes it to make liqueur to giveaway as gifts etc. but i was wondering (and maybe it is a stupid question) if adding sugar reduces the 100 proof.

As a sample if i take a gallon of 100 proof shine and add 500gr Sugar to it, will the proof then be the same or will it reduce to 80 proof or something ?

Beerdcomb
      Participant

I don’t think adding sugar will reduce the proof- I’m more curious why you would add sugar?

Kevin V. Jr.
        Participant

My wife like’s very sweet liqueurs so she makes them. That’s why she’s puttin suger in it. But im glad to hear that it doesnt reduce the proof.

Nothing wrong with that- you might want to try making some apple pie or something for her as well. That will reduce the proof but it has a really nice flavor that my lady loves.

Kevin V. Jr.
        Participant

Hello Richard,
        Thanks for a response. I told my lady about the apple pie moonshine and we tried to make some but we didn’t end up with the shine we expected. Do you have a good recipe to try ?

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register