Navigation Menu

Beginner- clear and cloudy HELP

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Beginner- clear and cloudy HELP

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DevilRoyal
      Participant

My pot is 10-12 gallons, air tight, thermometer at 3/4 up the pot. Runing on modified large propane stand cooker. Mash is coming from cornmeal, tap water, sugar, and yeast. Have 5 gallon bucket w copper and running water for condenser. I am running 5 gallons after about a week or so.

When running I had to get temp up to about 185 to get anything and then a little higher to get constant 4 per secondish. Never Over 200. Ran twice and same thing both times, 2 clear at 120-135 proof after dump of first 150ml, then it goes cloudy for the next 4 at around 120, 90, 60, 40, then clear at 22 for the last.

I am thinking that my thermometer is in the wrong spot (top 3/4 of still), or I should be using better water, or maybe running too high and not just waiting. I feel like I cant get anything to move at 170s. Also considered a brita filter. Any help would be appreciated. Going to try honey and use some different things also. I am also thinking about a thumper keg next time. Thanks.

Kekedog13
      Participant

You say thermometer is 3/4 up the pot. Is it in the liquid ? It should be in the vapor. And a thermometer should be just a guide, you’re real gauge is the strength of the product.160 proof down to about 130 will be your best hearts.The cloudy ones are you’re tails, you can save them to add to you’re next run.

DevilRoyal
      Participant

It is in the vapor, not liquid. Does that sound right though; two good clear hearts from 150-130 proof and then 6 tails from 5 gallons? Just wondering if I need more mash to get more yield or if I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register