Navigation Menu

beginner

on

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Threeper
      Participant

I have a one gallon claw hammer still. after making about 6 cups my still produces just water. is my temp too high or is 6 cups all I should expect to get? at this point there is still a lot of liquid left in the still. also with this still around what temp should I keep my still at? thank you all.

According to their website: http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/13570337-distillery-equipment-guide
      it looks like you can expect around 6 cups-

I crank the heat on my still until it starts producing- once it starts producing I turn the heat down until I’m getting 5-8 drips a second (not quite a stream). I don’t focus on temp- mainly I focus on output. When the run first starts it will be the highest proof as alcohol boils at a lower temp than water- as the run goes on it will need more heat to keep producing- (as most of alcohol will have already been removed earlier in the run) the longer the run- the hotter the still- the more water will be pulled out of the still later in the run

make sure to Dump the foreshots

Threeper
      Participant

thanks for your help on all my post. so should the majority of my still be full at the end? could I let the still cool back down then start again or would there not be any alcohol left to take out?

Beerdcomb
      Participant

The still will be pretty full at the end of the run.

could I let the still cool back down then start again or would there not be any alcohol left to take out

It will be mostly water left- If you have a proofing hydrometer – once you make your tails cut keep collecting the tails until you are down to about 20% and save the tails and add them to the next batch you run.
      This way you are pulling all of the alcohol you can out of the wash- saving the tails and adding them to the next run will up the starting abv of that wash.

Viewing 3 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register