Navigation Menu

Beginning questions

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Beginning questions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Tguercio
      Participant

Thanks again for all your help. I have a few more questions for you.

1- is it possible to add more air to a mash once it is in the carboy? I am afraid i didn’t aerate it enough.

2- is a 5 gallon carboy is enough to hold a 5 gallon mash? I know that sounds dumb haha but i just wasn’t sure if there was any expansion of the yeast or anything.

3- is the recipe for corn whiskey on your website for a 5 gallon mash? Because it says 6 gl of water plus all the corn n such. How big of a pot would you need for all that?

4- my local home-brew store recommended distillers yeast with nutrients. I hAve the honey recipe fermenting now and i used fleischmans bread yeast should i continue to use this or the distillers yeast. Ive read all the articles and am unsure which is better. I want a high proof product but i don’t want it to negatively impact the taste either.

Thanks again for all your help! Im stoked to use the my new setup.

1- is it possible to add more air to a mash once it is in the carboy? I am afraid i didn’t aerate it enough.

What kind of yeast did you use? If you used a dry yeast you will be fine.

2- is a 5 gallon carboy is enough to hold a 5 gallon mash? I know that sounds dumb haha but i just wasn’t sure if there was any expansion of the yeast or anything.

I always ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy- If you put 5 gallons in a 5 gallon fermenter you will most likely have some blow-off. It will expand – that is not a dumb question.

3- is the recipe for corn whiskey on your website for a 5 gallon mash? Because it says 6 gl of water plus all the corn n such. How big of a pot would you need for all that?

I am assuming this is the recipe off of the clawhammersupply website? http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/11454449-corn-whiskey-recipe
      I would use at least a 12 gallon pot -I’ve never really worried about it as I have a 20 gallon pot.

4- my local home-brew store recommended distillers yeast with nutrients. I hAve the honey recipe fermenting now and i used fleischmans bread yeast should i continue to use this or the distillers yeast. Ive read all the articles and am unsure which is better. I want a high proof product but i don’t want it to negatively impact the taste either.

I personally like bread yeast on my honey, rum, and it works really well on the corn. I also use ale yeast (us05 and bry97) on my malted barey mashes. I like the ale yeast as I feel it ferments a big cleaner- and works really well when I’m making a malted whiskey. I’ve used this with good results. I suggest trying each of them and seeing what you like best. That is the beauty of the hobby- nothing is written in stone. Find what works for you and use it.

Viewing 1 reply thread

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register