Navigation Menu

Blue Moonshine

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Blue Moonshine

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Wingmanalive
      Participant

Ok I’ve done some homework on this but would appreciate some more advice. For the first time I’ve come across a blue distillate when distilling a sugar wash with a slight ammonia smell. I’ve come to the conclusion from research that it would be because of one of two things, or both. Please correct me if I’m wrong. My copper condenser coil could have corrosion inside that is causing the blue color or it’s because my wash has too high acidity from possibly too mush yeast nutrient I added. I’m currently using home brew bought yeast nutrient and using a teaspoon per gallon (Recommended). Now this is the first time ever getting blue distillate and I’m just tossing it out there that’s my problem. Right after running my sugar wash I ran a straight run of nothing but plain water with no blue at all. Also, advice says to clean the copper with white vinegar but nobody can clarify just how. Is the solution just poured down the coil to clean it or do I run it through the whole still like I would any wash, letting it steam through the condenser? Obviously I can’t get into the coil using a tool since the pipe is 25′ long in total length. Will distilling the water/vinegar solution clean out the coil? Also, if it matters, I also started with a sour mash using 1/3 volume from a previous run. Does any of this make sense? Thanks.

Viewing 0 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register