Navigation Menu

capturing the good stuff

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum capturing the good stuff

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Waterski
      Participant

Clawhammer’s site somewhere says not to run you product into glass from the still. Why is this? My understanding is that your alcohol shouldn’t be in plastic, so what do I use?

Always use glass-don’t use plastic.
      I don’t remember hearing anything about not using gas from those guys… maybe you are thinking about not using glass carboys to ferment? I know when those break they can be super dangerous. i personally have been fermenting in plastic buckets as it is easier to clean etc.. Have a link ?

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

I use glass carbons for a secondary fermenter usually after a week in the plastic primary fermenter. Like to get it off the grain and allow it to begin settling. The plus side is that I can then see the level of the trub and avoid transferring too much of it into the boiler. Down side, Heavy!! Just not as strong as I used to be.
      Edited to correct that which auto complete thinks it needs to change.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Jim
      Have you tried the plastic carboys?

I plan on picking on of these up.

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

Those look like a really improvement over the glass ones will have to show them to sil

Waterski
      Participant

I should probably clarify….It said not to run product from the still into glass…I will try to find where I read that.

Waterski
      Participant

It was an email that clawhammer sent out:

Because safety is the most important thing, I make a point of going back to basic protection measures during distillation, every now and again. No matter how experienced of a distiller you are, safety should always come first, whether it’s the location, the equipment you use or your own behavior in the process of running your copper whiskey still. Alcohol is almost as dangerous as gasoline when it comes to fire and explosion hazards and although your mash isn’t flammable, the vapors from the first and successive run distillates certainly are, so it is essential to take great care every time you fire up your pot still.
      So, here are some basic rules that you should stick to:

Don’t use an open flame indoors. In fact, don’t use an open flame at all if you can avoid it. Along these lines, might also help not to (carelessly) smoke next to your whiskey still during distillation.

Always ensure proper ventilation. Alcohol easily diffuses in the air and can explode at the very interaction with a spark or a flame.

Avoid using glass containers. Use metal and plastic only.

Never fill a pot while it is on the stove or near a heat source. A few drops of spilled alcohol could create an explosion if they reach a hot plate.

Place the receiver low on the floor, away from the heat source. Also, it is recommended to use a small-necked receiver so that, if a fire starts, the small-necked opening is easier to extinguish. You can also wrap a damp cloth loosely around the tubing where it enters the receiver, to keep the vapors in.

Never leave your pot still unattended. A hose line could fail, a receiver might overflow and dangerous vapors would get spread around causing trouble.

Avoid storing uncut alcohol around the house. Or, if you need to, make sure you keep it in the refrigerator. Anything warmer than that and you might be sitting next to a ticking bomb. Also, don’t store alcohol higher than 15% in plastic containers as some types of plastic might dissolve in alcohol.

Avoid vapor leaks in your copper still by making sure all the fittings are tight. If you do get a leak, stop the heat source first and then attend to it.

Keep a CO2 fire extinguisher on hand and make sure you know how to use if you need to.

Also, don’t forget to clean your still immediately after each distillation, while the copper is still warm. Rinse it thoroughly with water and wipe it with a clean cloth. Flush out all the tubing with clear water. You may also use a weak detergent solution every now and then, but not perfumed soap as it may leave an odor.

Enjoy your quality distilling time but always keep safe. Believe it or not, there are worse things than a failed recipe… although that’s pretty bad too!

Happy distilling!

Jason

Jason Stone
      Whiskey Still Company
      http://www.whiskeystill.net
      Share: Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn StumbleUpon
      Follow: Follow Me On Facebook Follow Me On Twitter

Whiskey Still Company
      538 W 21st ST #15156, Houston, TX, 77008
      1-888-413-6829
      http://www.whiskeystill.net
      Unsubscribe | Change Subscriber Options

Waterski
      Participant

OOPS. My bad. It wasn’t clawhammer, it was whiskeystill.net

Always run the still into glass- I also only store my product in glass.

Viewing 8 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register