Navigation Menu

carbon filter

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum carbon filter

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sexfreak
      Participant

what is the easiest way to make a carbon filter? what material can I use? I see stainless carbon filter columns but they cost a lot of $$

I always proof mine down to around 80 before I filter.

I purchased this at my local homebrew shop
      http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/carbon-snake/4,11441.html

I’m sure you could just make something similar with off the shelf items.

basically it is just a spigot that attaches to a bottling bucket- the hose attaches to the spigot- just pack the hose with carbon- letting gravity do the rest.

I’m traveling currently or I’d give you some more specifics on it.

Sexfreak
      Participant

I found a stainless steel carbon filter but it is pricey. I was thinking that I could make 1 out of copper for a lot less. would copper work or would it affect the taste?

Copper should work fine- I’d be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Do you have a current design?

Sexfreak
      Participant

nope not yet. I’ll start googling what other people have and try to make something out of copper. I’ll run the idea by you first see what you think

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

Made mine from leftover 2″ copper pipe, 2 ft. long. 3 coffee filters and a layer of cheese cloth, further supported with aluminium screen, these are fastened to the pipe with a house clamp. Fill pipe almost to the top with activated charcoal. You will need to run a lot of water through it first to rinse out all the fines, changing out the coffee filters. alternately, use a fine meshed Hollander to rinse the charcoal. Works very well, ran two pints heads and two of tails through it, cannot distinguish that from the hearts.

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

I really hate auto correct…don’t suppose the Hollander would like it either! Is supposed to say colander.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Viewing 7 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register