Navigation Menu

Cloudy and blue?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Cloudy and blue?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rise N Shine
      Participant

Hey yall, I’m not sure what just went wrong with my run. Heres a break down of what I’m using, and what happened. Any help is very much appreciated.

I use a 1 gal. Claw hammer pot still, no packing (but I have some) with the bayou classic burner.

My recipe was the 8.5lbs flaked maize, 2lbs of crushed malted barley, and (2) packets of Red Star yeast with 5 gal of wash. It was transferred into the still with an auto siphon and a funnel with a mesh filter in the middle. The still was heated up quite slow (boiler temp at 120 with steam being 75 and so forth, bout an hour and a half). I also use the parrot from claw hammer. I’m wondering if the parrot is just to big causing it all to mix before it can be in the jar? The starting alcohol was low, and came off the still at 60 proof and held that for quite a while. It seems like the only way to get it produce was to have the boiler temp at about 210F with steam rocketing to 190F. It wont seam to hold in the 170’s and gradually increase. I got about 1.5 gallons left that I’m going to throw in some sugar and a packet of bread yeast to raise the alcohol, but I have 7.5 gallons of strawberry brandy almost ready to go and I can’t afford to lose it the way I did this one.

When all was said done after 2 solid runs it came out with a slight tain of blue (which might of been the LED light hanging) but very very cloudy, with particles floating in it. Any explanation or advice?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I’m wondering if the parrot is just to big causing it all to mix before it can be in the jar?

A parrot can cause issues with a 1 gallon still– it is very difficult to make cuts with such a small still but the parrot will make it impossible– the parrot is going to be too large for the 1 gallon still.

The starting alcohol was low, and came off the still at 60 proof and held that for quite a while.

My 10 gallon clawhammer starts around 140 proof with an 8% ABV wash. What was the starting and ending gravity of the mash you made? It seems like you might have had a low ABV mash.

It seems like the only way to get it produce was to have the boiler temp at about 210F with steam rocketing to 190F. It wont seam to hold in the 170’s and gradually increase.

That sounds about right- don’t worry about the temperature. Just crank the heat on the still until it starts producing..once it starts producing dial the heat back until you have 3 drips a second. Go by flow on the output of the still- not by temperature.

I have 7.5 gallons of strawberry brandy almost ready to go and I can’t afford to lose it the way I did this one.

Do you know the starting and ending gravity of the wine?

You will only get about 3-5 cups of alcohol out of a 1 gallon run. 1 gallon stills work great for distilling water and essential oils but you might want to jump to a 10 gallon still if you are going to get into this hobby as it is very difficult to make good cuts with such a small still.

Rise N Shine
      Participant

Hey y’all, I got a little more copper and managed to push it up to a 5-6 gallon now. I did a cleaning run, ran some vinegar through it, cleaned it again, and did a wine run. I got a good couple quarts of hearts at 60-65% crystal clear. I think it was Just to dang small. (Quarts of wine run that is). However, I noticed a green crud in the column, arm and top of the boiler. I did yet another run of vinegar, scrubbed it, and the crap just ain’t coming out. I run my finger hard across it and a slight green/watery tint comes off. The copper is only a week old, only had 5-6 runs through it. Any idea what’s up with that, or is that just normal?

Beverage commander, the guy sold me the wrong hydrometer (don’t know how that’s possible) but the lowest it goes is 1.060 so I wasn’t able to get any gravity reading off the brandy. I got a cracked corn/sugar recipe going right now as well. It’s bubblin like crazy. Took a cup of the brandy though and it had a good alcohol taste to it- much much more than the flaked maize recipe. I’ll let Yknow how it goes! Main concern is that green crap mentioned above though.

Thebrains
      Participant

First run needs to run around 200/low 200s. Foggy most times means low alc and a lot of water. It can also mean a lot of transfer like if you put a bunch of that dad yeast in your pot that is on the bottom of your fermentation container. But that gunk atteh bottom of your fermentation container is very good yeast nutrient for your next batch boil it and add it to your next fermentation container yeast eat dead yeast.

Thebrains
      Participant

Blue is copper run it threw a coffee filter it will catch it all.

Viewing 4 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register