Corn recipe

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Corn recipe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Waterski
      Participant

As far as this recipe goes

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/11454449-corn-whiskey-recipe

Will it hurt anything to boil the mash after draining (or sparging) to ensure contaminants/wild yeast are destroyed before cooling and pitching yeast? At least that is how I do all grain beer.

waterski,

I don’t think it will hurt anything to bring liquid up to a boil after sparging- (if you boil for a while it is possible it could change the flavor a bit)

If you are using flaked maize as they are you don’t need to boil the corn- it has already been processed and is ready to be mashed.

I personally don’t bring my distilling mashes up to a boil as I always clean and sterilize all of my brewing/fermenting equipment extremely well. I also always pitch a good amount of healthy yeast.

It also shaves quite a bit of time of the brew day if you don’t boil- you don’t have to wait for a boil and then cool it back down to pitching temps. I also came from the brewing world and at first it was strange not to boil- but now I don’t even think about it. I have been having really good results without boiling- you have to remember that is going to be distilled and not bottled/kegged.

Hope that helps

Viewing 1 reply thread

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register