Navigation Menu

Corn Sugar mash recipie

on

Home Forum… Recipes/Ingredients Corn Sugar mash recipie

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      DustinBucks
      Participant

Hi every one, I just discovered a whiskey recipie that is comprised of corn sugar, water, and yeast. ..I was told this yields a very smooth corn liquor…The ingredients are cheap and readily available, I was just wondering if anyone had a negative or a positive experience using this mash recipie…Thanks

Michael s
      Participant

And the recipe would be ….

DustinBucks
      Participant

2 lbs of CORN SUGAR per 1 gal of water…warm it up till the corn sugar fully disolves then add yest and let ferment for 14 days.

JimmySutton
        Keymaster

Haven’t tried it but would be interested in hearing how your batch goes if you make it!

DustinBucks
      Participant

I read the recipie online…They say it makes the smoothest blend and the ingredients are cheap and easily available. I just did my first run of strawberry brandy and it was pretty tasty…I’m going to make a custom fermenter out of a plastic feed Barrel and I’ll post the results of using corn sugar instead of the usual flaked maize recipie.

Gwbarky
      Participant

I have used this recipe. Everyone loved it. To date I have made 10 gallons. In a 30 gallon pot. very smooth with a slight sweet taste.

Michael s
      Participant

I have most recently savored the sweet fruit of the maize.

10 each, 16oz. Light Corn Syrup. 4 lbs. white sugar. 2 each, 12oz. jars of molasses. 12 oz. lime juice. 5 gal. water
      Mix.
      Add 6 oz. of rehydrated whiskey yeast, not turbo. Stir daily.
      7 days later, add a clearing agent.
      Process.

The first glass was so smooth, I thought it was water. Until it hit my belly. About 32 to 35%.
      It is lightly flavored, very smooth. Good in the glass, on the rocks, with Coke, or my favorite, Limeade.

Pay attention. Ensure the ingredients of the corn syrup do NOT contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.
      KARO light or dark or a store brand. I have had little luck finding 1 or 5 gallon containers of corn syrup, that does not include HFCS.

With this recipe, you and your 14 items can go thru the express checkout. Happy trails.

Bull1719
      Participant

This may be stupid but Ive never heard of “corn sugar”. where do I find it?

Michael s
        Participant

I have made several batches with Karo “corn syrup”. The same stuff used to make pecan pies. Karo is usually in 16oz. bottles. Store brands are up to 32oz. bottles. I haven’t been able to locate larger units. Make sure it doesn’t have “high fructose corn syrup” on the label.

I tried corn syrup after looking at what was required to make the mash. A lot of work to turn the starch into sugar. And it is very, very smooth.

Boog2ww
        Participant

I have always wondered why not use corn syrup. You can buy it in one gallon jugs at sams club. What would use in a wash gallon to five gallon water??

Michael s
          Participant

I looked on Sam’s and Costco’s web sites and could not locate anything larger than 320z. There was a place in Illinois that had 5 gallons of syrup, but shipping was more than the syrup. You have to be sure there is no HFCS in the container.

I’m going to stick to 2.5 to 3 gallon batches.

Corn sugar: You can buy it at any homebrew shop:

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/corn-sugar-1-lb-bag/4,12190.html

Boog2ww
      Participant

I just ordered 50lbs of corn sugar. I found the recipe smoothiest southern whiskey. Somthing Magic better happen I’m going to be mad if this taste like sugar shine!!

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Keep us posted- I have a feeling it is going to be a more expensive sugar shine.

Michael s
      Participant

I think sugar shine is so “breath taking” may be due, in part, to all of the sugar not fermenting. Your final hydrometer reading should be as close to 1.000 as possible. A little less is better, 0.990.

I just finished a batch starting at 1.104 (somewhat low) fermenting down to 1.050. I added a half gallon of 90 proof, that was was “breath taking” to the pot. It came out to about 80 proof. The sugar sting was gone, but, not as smooth as I have made it in the past.

Look in the “Calc” section of “http://homedistiller.org/calcs/rad14701”. You might have go between a couple of sections to get the info.

Good luck.

Boog2ww
      Participant

I’ve read just about every post on here. People keep saying came out 80 came out 90. When I’m running my ten gallon clawhamer with parrot my still starts any where between 140 and 170. I usually stop tasting around around 110 to 70. Leave my lids off come the next day do a smelling and small sip and find the pint jars I want to keep mix all together and it’s around 110 to 120ish then I slowly add spring water till I find the bite a wont usually ends up around 80 to 100 then I chip it are keep it clear. Is correct are yall just finding the pints you want uncut and enjoying as is. Are is it all right just depends on the taste of the cook. Corn sugar will be here Thursday.

Michael s
      Participant

I use a pot still, 80-90 proof is about what I get, as long as the mash ferments to 20%. I get about 1/4th of the mash volume as distilled product.

I have read, the first run can be re-distilled to get a higher proof, with a proportional decrease in volume. For some reason, no spirits have ever made the second trip.

When the distillate begins to flow, you will have a higher proof reading, but, the first alcohol to come out is the methanol. I am very generous discarding this.

If, you have never used this recipe, I suggest you make a small batch and take good notes. I try to keep my batches to 3 gallons. It’s easier to set up and move everything.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/430304939371496219/ click to see all comments, then, click on the 4th comment. There might be something useful.

Good luck.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I don’t push my mash past 8%- I notice harsh flavors if I do. I do all grain mashes ( I don’ do much with sugar)

My pot still starts producing heads around 140- and I run my tails down to 10%.
      If I am doing a spirit run I always add all of the tails from my previous run into the batch of wash I’m distilling. ( I don’t add the heads)

If I am doing a stripping run I collect everything in 2 1 gallon glass jars- I don’t make cuts and run the still down to 10% (10 gallon still)
      If you want to get a higher proof in a pot still I recommend doing stripping runs. Do enough stripping runs to collect enough spirits to fill the still. I have a 10 gallon still and it takes me between 4-5 stripping runs to collect enough for a spirit run.
      Once you have collected enough stripping runs then do a spirit run- you will get a much higher proof and a a much cleaner product.

Michael s
      Participant

When I retire, I aspire to be as industrious. For, now, my wife does not share my affinity to Americana and I have have a small footprint. The last thing she wants to see is a collection bottles and jars in various states of development.

Someday…..

Boog2ww
      Participant

I’m running a clawhamer ten gallon still I added a half gallon thumper. My last batch I ran once it tasted a lot like pedleton but still had a small off putting smell every body liked it but me every batch I make gets better. My next batch I’m doing the corn sugar 20 gallons of wash I’m taking off the thump no packing doing a stripping run with all of it then a spirit run. If been trying for about a year now I’m getting closer I got some really expensive peated malt barley I won’t to run but I got to get that slight smell gone. I’m not after moonshine I want fine sippin whiskey

Zymurgy Bob
      Participant

While corn sugar or corn can be used to replace the sugar that a proper allgrain mash would produce, a simple corn sugar wash will never give you the rich grain flavor that you get from actually mashing corn, so that’s pretty much a matter of taste. Also mashing corn grain (sometimes called a thick mash) is a helluva a lot more work than a thin mash, which is just a sugar wash flavored with grain.

Also, I agree with everything that Beverage Commander said, except that sometimes I include heads from the stripping run in the spirit run.

Boog2ww
      Participant

Somebody tell me if I’m wrong. The thumper is Tainting my whole batch by the time I get to my hearts the stuff in my thumper is flavoring my hearts. The only way the thumper would do me any good is I could bypass until the first quart are so has gone threw then turn it on. If somebody says I’m right I’m not useing it any more and I’m going back to my all grain recipe and gi in away the corn sugar

Boog2ww
      Participant

The foreshot in the thumper all all my good stuff been going threw there I’ve been changing my recipes it’s the stupid thumper

BeverageCommander
        Participant

BOOG2WW-
        what liquid are you using in your thumper to start?

Michael s
      Participant

I don’t use a thumper. The distillate line goes directly into a cooling tower, the steam condenses and the condensate runs into the bottle.

Boog2ww
      Participant

The thumper is before my condensing arm it’s a second distillation it absolutely works my proof will run 170 and my still will stop producing around 80. But I’m my mind the only way it’s doing any good is if I could drain it before I get to my hearts. I’m better of doing a stripping run without it. The only use I can see for the thing would be to run a batch of hearts three to get some really high proof for Apple pie Put flavoring I to sugar shine are rum

Boog2ww
      Participant

Just enough spring water to cover the drop tube but what I’ve read some people use vodka are some of there last batch. I won’t put it back on my still again not on my first run anyway. I just a half gallon jar with a coper lid. By the end of a run it will be full. I got about two quarts of bourbon now It has great taste pretty Carmal color it just has a faint smell I just know it’s because I’ve been useing it on my first run. When I clean the still and dump the thumper it smells and my hearts have been going threw that foul liquid

Zymurgy Bob
      Participant

Are you saying that your distillate is coming out with a caramel color?

Boog2ww
      Participant

No it come threw clear as rain water

Boog2ww
      Participant

It wasn’t my thumper giving me that off smell. Tried one more time but this time I used some cleaner from the brew store in all my mash buckets then used star San And I did the same with my still on cook day. It made all the differance. I had just been useing a little bleach

BeverageCommander
      Participant

great news! PBW works wonders

Viewing 25 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register