Navigation Menu

Corn whiskey mash fail?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Corn whiskey mash fail?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Davey1980
      Participant

Followed the recipe to the exact calling. Ended up with an original gravity of 1.02 @ 83 degrees. I know to check it again around room temp (72) but I feel its not gonna be much different. Should I have actually let the mash maintain 165 degrees for an hour and half instead take off heat for good at 152? Seems I got no sugar. Help

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/11454449-corn-whiskey-recipe?page=1

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

You want to mash at 152–you will pull the most fermentable sugars between 148-152.

You don’t want to mash at 165. 165 is much too hot and will create a lot more unfermentable sugars.

Did you use flaked maize and crushed malted barley from a homebrew shop?

Davey1980
        Participant

Cracked corn @ 8.5lbs. Bought at Tractor supply. 2row crushed malted barley. 1.5lbs got it from a local brewery

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I would just slowly add some white sugar to the mash until you reach around 1.055 or so.

No need to waste the mash- something did not go correctly but it will still make some damn fine mash.
      If you don’t have white sugar add brown, honey, molasses, anything to get the Starting Gravity up.

It will be fine

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

The reason the recipe did not work is because you used cracked corn instead of flaked corn– there is a big difference.

You will not pull sugar out of the cracked corn- you will pull flavor.

Flaked corn (maize) has been processed so the sugars can easily be extracted during a mash process. It is more expensive but it is worth it in my opinion as it makes a great whiskey.

http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=441&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CNuZy8KPm8kCFUQ2gQodzYcAXw

Add sugar as bevcommander suggested. You will get a decent flavor.

Next time you run this recipe get the flaked maize and I’m sure you will notice a difference between the two batches.

Davey1980
        Participant

Will do. Thanks for the help guys.

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

Add the sugar and keep us posted.

It will turn out good regardless… never toss it down the drain for something like that!

Davey1980
      Participant

Added sugar. Take two reading along the way and got it up to 1.055. Took about 3 lbs. Thanks for tips.

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

Right on!

Davey1980
      Participant

Fermenting nicely so far. Bubbling every 2-3 seconds.

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

Great. I’d let it go for at least a week- then take a hydrometer reading. I like to go at least a week – the yeast will start to drop to the bottom leaving behind a clear wash at the top.

Davey1980
      Participant

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1044

Check this out! You can get extra 35% sugar with this steep method. Really good read.

Davey1980
      Participant

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=465

Here is the PDF of the whole corn whisky process with cracked corn.

Davey1980
      Participant

Okay. So the fermenting stopped and checked fg in at 1.01

So my abv is 5.91

Is that worth distilling?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I’d run it- the yield won’t be spectacular but I bet the flavor will be good.

6% is bad- I shoot between 6.5-8 usually.

Davey1980
      Participant

Why such a low abv? From what I’ve read most ppl want 13%-16%. With 20% being max.

BeverageCommander
        Participant

I’ve found yeast starts to leave off flavors if I push above 8%. I like the flavor that comes though with 8. I’ve talked to a lot of craft distilleries over years and I have yet to find one that pushes over 9%

There is a good Interview with short mountain distillery- they discuss this:

“Short Mountain Distillery: We use a specific gravity hydrometer to calculate our potential abv. The initial density of the Short Mountain Shine mash is usually at 1.068 S.G. At this starting density our completed fermentation will have an abv content in the 9% range. Starting gravities in excess of 1.070 tend to have extended fermentation times and risk becoming stuck when using traditional yeast strains. You can use alternate yeast strains such as turbo yeast (which have an increased tolerance to alcohol) to bump your initial density, but these yeast strains generally produce a distillate you would rather put in your vehicle instead of your mouth.”

here is the article link: http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/14266277-secrets-of-moonshining-with-short-mountain-distillery

Davey1980
      Participant

I’m about to do a 5 gallon wash with…
      10lbs corn sugar/dextrose
      Yeast nutrient
      Sweet corn for flavor
      Little citric acid
      And not sure about what yeast I wanna use. Either turbo 24 or bakers yeast. Maybe a combo of both. Idk. I’ve read so many bad things about turbo yet I want to get the highest abv from it. What’s your guys thoughts?

BeverageCommander
        Participant

I personally don’t like Turbo- but I also have no need for it as I don’t push above 8%

Davey1980
      Participant

So I used 8lbs of corn sugar and 4 gal of water. My OG is at potential alcohol is 8%. 1.075.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I don’t do much with sugar but I know most folks that make sugar push the starting gravity. I pretty much only do single malts as that is what I prefer.
      Maybe you would do a test?
      a batch at 8% and a batch at 18% and see if you can notice a difference? I think that would be a cool experiment.

Davey1980
      Participant

So first alcohol run with my still. Ran great up to 158-160 degrees. Then it all of a sudden jumped to 200+ degree. Wtf? I panicked and took it off the heat. Moved to a small burner and gonna start again.

Davey1980
      Participant

HELP!!!

BeverageCommander
      Participant

How long were you running the still? Once you hit the tails the temp can jump- Where are you measuring your temperature?

Davey1980
      Participant

I’m so tired!! Lol

I started around 10pm been up since.

I have my thermometer at the top of my potstill. I measuring the steam I guess. Had my stove which is electric set at 7/10 for about idk… 40 minutes. All was going slow til it hit around 160 degrees. Then bam! It jumps to 200+. I shut it down. It starts leaking at my seal on the lid and I panic. So I move to another burner. A small one, and set it on 2.5/10 once the thermometer reads below 155 degrees. Seems like the magic #. Once it gets up to 175 I pull a head cut and start doing hearts. Its been a consistent drip at around 2-3 seconds per drip. Its still going!!! I’m collecting in half pint jars so in case I don’t like my first cut or have a choice on my start of tails. But 11 hours later I’m sitting at 183 degrees. From what I’ve read I collect to body/hearts til around 190 degrees. This has been a crazy 1st experience. That’s for sure.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I don’t really pay attention to temperature except for taking notes.
      I just crank the heat until it starts producing and then dial it back until I have a 3-10 drips a second. I use the temperature to take notes but I don’t rely on it for production.
      Always go by flow-

Smart move on turning it off when it started leaking!!!! never run a still that is leaking

Davey1980
      Participant

Being my first time and not knowing what to expect in flavor for my cuts I just go by temp and flavor. Of course the first 200ml tasted terrible and that’s about when I hit 175 degree. Its still dripping at a steady rate of 3-10 drops per second and only at 184 degrees. The taste has calmed down a bit. Exactly what is the best way to know when to cut tails? I was start at 190 degrees since I’m not experienced.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I run my still to around 205– but I run my still until my tails are around 10% ABV or 20 proof.

Cuts take time to learn- the best way to do it is just to collect in small collection jars- label them 1-15 (or whatever the last number is) Taste each jar at the end of the run and take notes in a notebook.
      You will be able to taste the heads– then the heads turn into the hearts– and then hearts turn into the tails.
      On your next run you will have a better idea on what each part of the run tastes like- use small jars- take notes, put your finger under the output and taste it as you go.

Davey1980
      Participant

Okay thank you. So as long as I got rid of the foreshort (first 200ml) I have nothing to worry about as far as it killing me. Other than alcohol poisoning. Lol. Correct?

So the rest is just what I like the taste of. To determine heart cuts.

One more thing. I was cleaning the top to my pot still and noticed that the wing nuts I used weren’t stainless steel. They got rusted. How will that affect my fuel?

Viewing 24 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register