distilling, taste, and cogeners

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum distilling, taste, and cogeners

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Vernue
      Participant

questions of a nubee nature

when i distill, i’m left with a mix of ethanol (maybe 75%?), water, and assorted other stuff that gives the distillate its taste, yes? this is why corn mash will taste different than rye, or rum, yes? if i do a stripping run, will that not strip out the unique flavors? or will enough of the cogeners remain to give it a unique taste?

we have a natural spring in the area. should we test the water for acidity or anything else? it is more important to use the spring water for adding to the mash or in cutting the barrel strength down to bottle strength?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

when i distill, i’m left with a mix of ethanol (maybe 75%?), water, and assorted other stuff that gives the distillate its taste, yes?

Are you making cuts when you run? Or just collecting everything together?

this is why corn mash will taste different than rye, or rum, yes?

corn mash will taste different than rye,rum due to the ingredients in the mash.

if i do a stripping run, will that not strip out the unique flavors? or will enough of the cogeners remain to give it a unique taste?

I tend to always do stripping runs, if you have a copper still that is not a reflux it won’t strip a lot of the flavor out. I find doing a stripping run and then a spirit run cleans up the final product and I get better cuts.

Are you making cuts currently?

Vernue
      Participant

thanks for replying.

i haven’t done a run yet. I’m reading ian smiley’s book first – it is really helpful with the details that a first timer needs. something he says that i’ve not seen elsewhere is that he talks about the feints – even including foreshots – are retained for future runs, and they add flavor and depth to the whiskey. everyone else i’ve read talks about dumping the foreshots, retaining the tails, and i’ve not read much about the heads.

i’ve got a copper still – it’s the clawhammer 5 gal. doing a stripping run with that, i’d assume i’d not use the structured packing, and just let is run hot and fast. is that right?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

even including foreshots – are retained for future runs, and they add flavor and depth to the whiskey. everyone else i’ve read talks about dumping the foreshots, retaining the tails, and i’ve not read much about the heads.

Some folks save the heads and tails and do a run with those- just note it won’t be a normal spirit run. Usually these runs have quite a bit of heads as well as a lot of tails- but also will be collecting a decent amount of hearts that got lost in your previous spirit runs.

doing a stripping run with that, i’d assume i’d not use the structured packing, and just let is run hot and fast. is that right?

Correct. don’t pack on a stripping run- just run her hot and fast.

Viewing 3 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register