Navigation Menu

Distilling wine into Brandy

on

Home Forum… Still Discussion Distilling wine into Brandy

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rebel
      Participant

I ran 16 litres of wine and only produced 1 litre of Brandy. That can’t be typical. I heated it to 184 degrees. It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. It started to produce a drip…. I ran that at 184 for 6 hours…… The drip was very slow…. About one drip per 2 seconds. Is that normal? Should I have continued with the run? It was my first run while I am waiting for my corn mash to ferment…. Help!

Rebel-

Do you know what the starting ABV of the Wine was?

Rebel
      Participant

I think 14.5

I had to do some quick math- 16 liters is around 4.22 gallons

I would not focus on the temperature so much:

Here is what I do:

Crank the heat on the still until it starts producing
      Once it starts producing turn the heat down until I have a 5-8 drips a second (just below a trickle)
      Dump the first 150-300ml on a 5 gallon run as this will contain a higher percentage of methanol
      Collect and label jars while making cuts during the run

It sounds like you were running really slow- I will run 5 gallons in about 6-8 hours with my clawhammer still. I also run my still until the product is at 20%. I will collect between 1-1.5 gallons of total product in 6-8 hours- this included heads,hearts,tails.

Rebel
      Participant

The temp was 184 for 6 hours. It never trickled. It was a drop or two per seconds at its fastest point. If I have air leaks, would it cut the production that much?

Rebel
      Participant

it was actually 12% abv

Zymurgy Bob
      Participant

From the blue (liquid) line on the chart,
      http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/alcoholvaporCelsius.gif
      you can see that a 12% ethanol/water mixture boils at 92C (about 198F), and that the vapor from that mixture boiling at 92C (red line) will be 57% ethanol. If you never got the wash hotter than 184F, you never got it to a boil, so you could take months to get any distillate.

Don’t worry, trying to control boiling temperature on a potstill is so common that this had to be written.
      http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/ReadMeFirst/MagicBoilingMyth.html

Viewing 6 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register