Electric Home Distillery

on

Home Forum… Electric Distilling Electric Home Distillery

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone using one?

Marduk
      Participant

Just bought a 1440 watt heating element with temp controller to boost the temp along with my induction plate. I’ll post comparison results soon.

Junkmanlouie
      Participant

I’m just using an old hot plate. Used it for chemical dip 2 years ago. Seems to be working okay today. Cleaned my still with vinegar and running my first batch today. Been holding at 210F for hours. An open flame is dangerous in a lot of ways.

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

Have a 15 gallon still with two 5500 watt elements. One element is voltage controlled 220 volts, the other is 110 volts,PID controlled. Use both elements to run up to temperature, then use the voltage controlled element to drive the still

Jim,
      How quickly can you heat up your still?

how are you controlling a 5500 watt element with 110v? I though The most a 110v circuit could handle is 2000 watts with a 20amp breaker?

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

With both elements on, I’m applying 6875 watts to the boiler. Haven’t really paid much attention to the time. However, I’m thinking that it’s probably in the neighbourhood of 30 – 40 min. You can use a 220 volt element on a 110 volt source, (just not 220 on a 110 element ) but the heat output is 1/4 the elements rated wattage, so it runs at 1375 watts. Could bore you with the math, but that’s how it works out with ohms law.

Why not just run a 1500 watt instead of the 5500 running at 1/4 the power? I like the sounds of those heat up times! I need to get me some 220!

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

Just gives me another option and a lower wattage density. However, we’ve been using the 240 volt element at 6.7 amps only. Seems almost hands off through most of the distillation. Sat. Run was about 8 hrs long, Ran a little on Sunday, only got a pint and called it quits. Not interested in anything under 80 proof!! Will add that to the next run.

RickR
      Participant

Can anyone recommend an electric heating source for a 5 gallon pot still. about the size of a 5 gallon pail. I am not sure if the little 750 watt ones sold on amazon will get hot enough. Looking to see if anyone has experience with them.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I suggest at least 1500 watts for 5 gallons.

Lyons17R
      Participant

Would a 1500 watt be good to run with a 10 Gal still?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

1500 watts will take a bit of time to heatup on a 10 gallon still: normally it takes my 10 gallon about 2 hours to start producing. I use this time to work on other projects in the area. I don’t have access to 240v power or I would use a 5500 watt element. 1500 watts is the max you can use on a standard 15amp 120v circuit.
      It works great- just know it is going to take time to heatup.

Lyons17R
      Participant

That’s no biggie, I will be distilling in my race shop so I have plenty of work to keep me occupied..

Viewing 12 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register