First grape pomace run

on

Home Forum… General Distilling Discussion First grape pomace run

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Baylisstic1098r
      Participant

Good afternoon
      Just waiting patiently by the mail box for my new 5gal Clawhammer to clear customs.

Would like to continue an Italian tradition that my grandfather’s both enjoyed in Italy.
      Never had a chance to ask them before the both passed away how it’s done.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Don’t know what questions I’m allowed to ask or what answers are allowed to be given but here goes.

I would take the pressed red grape pomace that has been fermented for wine, add that to the Clawhammer cover with just enough water to cover the pomace, add heat and monitor temperature.

If anyone has had any experience with this please respond.

Thanks

BeverageCommander
      Participant

From what I can gather- the wine is harvested and the solid fruit (pomace) is left behind. The solid fruit is pressed to extract the remaining alcohol and that is distilled. I would assume you would have to have quite a few batches of wine going to have enough pomace liquid to distill. It sounds like this was used to maximize the yield of the harvest- they get both wine and brandy by using everything from fermentation.

This sounds like a great thing to try- but what I would suggest doing.
      Ferment the wine- and distill the wine into brandy- leaving behind the pomace in the fermenter and store. Do a number of batches of wine brandy until you have enough pomace to extract enough liquid to do a run of the pomace brandy.

You only want to add liquid to still- especailly to a direct fired copper still.

I’ve never done anything like this- but that is how I would approach it (If I understand the process correctly)

Baylisstic1098r
      Participant

Thanks

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I make brandy all of the time- and you won’t be disappointed with the quality of brandy the clawhammer still produces.

Viewing 3 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register