Navigation Menu

First Mash run

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum First Mash run

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Billtdmd
      Participant

I am just finishing with fermenting my first whiskey mash…I have a 1 gallon still and 6 gal of mash.Being the first run in my still, should I run it through one time as a spirit run and age the product? Or run it through twice ? Any recommendations ?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Make sure you do a good cleaning run in the still if you have not.

If I were in your shoes I would do 6 stripping runs- save everything from those runs and do 1 final spirit run.

You can do 6 stripping runs in an afternoon if you have the time- or split it up into two sessions.

Fill the still- crank the heat until you have a decent stream and collect down to 10-20%-
      then dump the still and fill it back up and run it again- until all of the mash is done.

the next session add all of the “low wines” (everything collected from the stripping runs) and do a slow spirit run.

I think that would give you the best final product and maximize time and effort.

Billtdmd
      Participant

will do…thanks for the input…use temp or taste to figure heads and hearts?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Always go by feel and taste-

write down the notes in your notebook- if you run the same batch again it should be similar. I always take notes and have a few of my recipes dialed in- I always go by feel and taste but my temps are usually pretty spot on

Viewing 3 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register