Navigation Menu

First Time Question aka I may have goofed up HELP PLEASE!

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum First Time Question aka I may have goofed up HELP PLEASE!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JayTeeDee
      Participant

Hi folks I’m totally new to this and needed some help/advice.

I been home craft beer brewing for a few years I decided to try my hand at making some shine. I culled together some instructions and tips for making my first mash from some video resources and sites.

I found these to be most helpful:

http://accomplishedidler.blogspot.com/2011/03/makin-whisky-part-2.html

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/11454449-corn-whiskey-recipe

http://howtomakebooze.com/how-to-make-moonshine

So I decided to try to make my first batch. I thought everything was going really well until I realized that I might have made a big mistake in making the mash. In my haste and excitement and reading the instructions wrong. I used crushed barley and the sugar instead of the malted barley!!! DOH! I’m already a week into fermentation and everything appears to look and smell fine according to the instructions. However with my oversight did I mess up my batch and have to dump or will I be fine to go and and distill?

I used 5lbs of regular yellow cornmeal instead of crushed corn, 5lbs of regular white sugar, 2lbs of crushed barley from the home brew shop, and 5 gallons of distilled water if that makes a difference.

I bought a couple pounds of the dry malted barley today for a new batch to do it the right way next time. But what say you about this one?

Thank you in advance for the advice

Take care folks!

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

Did you by chance take a starting gravity reading?

With just the sugar (not counting for any sugar you will get out of the other ingredients) if you ferment down to 1.000 you will yield around 6%.

I’d just let it ferment and then run it. It will be fine.

JayTeeDee
      Participant

Thanks for replying Jimmy! Unfortunately I did not. My hydrometer had broken and I had to buy a new one. But I have a new one for proofing. I also used a Turbo Distilling Yeast which I learned after isn’t all that recommended. This one But oh well. It’s been in there 5 days. With beer I usually leave it for about two weeks. I was planning on distilling today but I just had another beginner issue. My home still I received was missing a important piece so I just emailed the seller for a replacement. So I’m forced now to leave it for another week.

I made a second batch last night the same as before but this time I used Bread yeast and a lighter grain bill. So hopefully it will be fine. I’ll hold off on using the malted barley until I see how these batches turn out.

Thanks again

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register