Fix a weak wash

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Fix a weak wash

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Groves
      Participant

Hello ,

I am new to distilling. This year was great for crab apples & I tried to make a wash with them. I had 65 lbs apples cut up & added 65 lbs sugar . I had 5 – 5 gal pails & divided the apples & sugar between them & added wine yeast , we do not have access to any distilling products where we live . The wash worked & bubbled away for over three weeks but is still only about 4 % ABV . I have siphoned of the clear liquid & now have a low alcohol cider .

Is there a way to increase the ABV for a distilling ?

Thanks Robert

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

Do you know what the starting gravity of the apples and sugar was before you added the yeast?

You had the following correct?

65 pounds of sugar
      65 pounds of apples- did you press them or just cut the up ?
      do you know how much water you added to each bucket?

Robert Groves
      Participant

hello ,

I do not know what the specific gravity was at the start , there were 5 US gals or a little less in each pail as well as about 13 lbs sugar , 13 lbs apples that were cut & cored . To that I added 1 packet of wine yeast that said it was good for 5 gals . Like I said before it worked away bubbling for over 21 days , I kept the temp at around 70 F the whole time . Now I have siphoned of all the clear & squeezed the apple mush through cheese cloth , ended up with fairly good tasting week cider I guess . Sure would like to be able to do something with it to get the ABV up to over 10% before I distill it .

Thanks Robert

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register