Navigation Menu

Foreshots in sugar wash?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Foreshots in sugar wash?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert2King
      Participant

Hey, quick question.. if your only doing a basic sugar,water,yeast wash will you get any methanol at the beginning? just wondering cause it seems like theres no wood product in it.

thanks

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Methanol is a by-product of fermentation- there will always be small amounts in your wash. Distilling concentrates the menthaol becuase it has a lower boiling point than alcohol. It will boil off first – come out of the still first.

I always ditch my foreshots for two reasons:
      better safe than sorry
      The first part of the run tastes terrible so there is really no reason not to ditch them

Robert2King
      Participant

sounds good, thanks

Lyons17R
      Participant

I threw away the first 200 ml of my run with 5 gallon. I was told 1/3 of a qt and that’s like 150 ml or something so I just go 200ml

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I’ve sent mine out to the labs to be tested and I agree the amounts are very minimal and won’t cause harm in small batches. but I error on the side of caution- plus foreshots are best used for cleaning not drinking.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

This is the way I’ve done it in the past:

Thebrains
      Participant

OMG methanol is no problem listen to no one who talks about it. You can’t produce deadly amounts of methanol EVER you need to make around 27,000 gallons of wash at once to make enough methanol to harm you THAT’S A FACT!!! Wine has the most methanol because the skins, next is beer, next is booze. Sugar wash makes zero to NO methanol. No matter what you ferment then distill you can not harm your self from methanol it is a lie I am the most knowledge ex shiner here. Dump first shot or so yeah it will have a SMALL amount of methanol but not deadly, you can distill all day and no matter what your product will still have small amount of methanol in it. So unless your distilling 27000+ gallons at one time you have nothing to worry about.

Thebrains
      Participant

My posts get deleted because i post FACTS and this place does not want it. Listen to what i say if you need shine info no one elses

Viewing 7 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register