Methanol is a by-product of fermentation- there will always be small amounts in your wash. Distilling concentrates the menthaol becuase it has a lower boiling point than alcohol. It will boil off first – come out of the still first.
I always ditch my foreshots for two reasons:
better safe than sorry
The first part of the run tastes terrible so there is really no reason not to ditch them
I’ve sent mine out to the labs to be tested and I agree the amounts are very minimal and won’t cause harm in small batches. but I error on the side of caution- plus foreshots are best used for cleaning not drinking.
OMG methanol is no problem listen to no one who talks about it. You can’t produce deadly amounts of methanol EVER you need to make around 27,000 gallons of wash at once to make enough methanol to harm you THAT’S A FACT!!! Wine has the most methanol because the skins, next is beer, next is booze. Sugar wash makes zero to NO methanol. No matter what you ferment then distill you can not harm your self from methanol it is a lie I am the most knowledge ex shiner here. Dump first shot or so yeah it will have a SMALL amount of methanol but not deadly, you can distill all day and no matter what your product will still have small amount of methanol in it. So unless your distilling 27000+ gallons at one time you have nothing to worry about.