Navigation Menu

honey shine

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum honey shine

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rwithers
      Participant

im keen to make some honey shine but reading about it unsure on what yeast to use and how long fermentation takes any help or recipes please ????

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I’ve made the recipe on the clawhammer site a few times- it has worked very well for me.
      http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/7169194-how-to-make-honey-moonshine-aka-honeyshine

I have used bread-yeast with great results- I feel it really works well with this recipe. I always add two dry packets of active dry bread yeast with this recipe. I am sure other yeasts will work great as well- but I have been really happy with the bread-yeast so I have not tried anything else yet.
      Fermentation on this normally takes between 10-14 days to finish – I ferment around 78. The only way to really know when fermentation is finished is by using a hydrometer.

Rwithers
      Participant

so this is a 6 gall batch ..?? if I want to do 5 gall as that’s my still and fermentation size do I jus drop 1 lit of honey and 1 gall of water ??? iv got 5gram packets of dry bread yeast so 2 of those ?? do I put nutrient tablet in too as some say that works well ??? don’t want to get it wrong as it expensive to make ..!! cheers

BeverageCommander
      Participant

That is for a 5 gallon batch- just follow it as it for 5 gallons.

I just add two packs of dry bread yeast- I have not had any issues with fermentation. You can add nutrients as well- just follow the directions on the label.

It is an expensive recipe- I have found that farmers markets are a great place to meet beekeepers- chat them up and see if you can buy the stuff that is not pretty enough to package. I usually buy it in a 5 gallon bucket.

Rwithers
      Participant

When it’s done fermentation it says let it stand for 5-7 days what does this mean ??? Do I siphon it off the yeast first ???

Rwithers
      Participant

what gravity does it need to be at when finished ???

Rwithers
      Participant

when it says let it stand for 5-7 days what does it mean ??still at same temp or stand in a cool place ???

Viewing 6 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register