Navigation Menu

How do I maintain stable fermentation?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum How do I maintain stable fermentation?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sho530
      Participant

Question from a newbie….I’ll be fermenting with a 6.5 gallon food-grade plastic bucket & lid with airlock in my garage with outside temps of 40-60 degrees. How should I keep my temperature at a stable 72 degrees during cooler weather? Do you recommend the “brew belt” product that you plug in? Any other recommendations to keep my brew at a stable temp? Thanks.

Thebrains
      Participant

40 is really low you should make sure you get yeast for that temp some yeasts are good for cold others high temp. But it’s a load of shit that temp going up and down could kill the yeast the cooler your mixture typically just slows down how fast it ferments. The warmest room is always best why keep it in your cold garage???

Sho530
      Participant

Thanks for your reply. I have to keep the brew in the garage since the wife doesn’t want the house smelling like a brewery.

I was planning to use bread yeast (dry active) for the mash since I’ve heard it provides a nice flavor. Since my initial post, I bought a brew belt for $20 online and tested it with my 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket filled only with water. It worked well, and kept the liquid at a stable 72-74 degree range for an entire week (ambient garage temp ranged between 58-65). Therefore, the brew belt should work well with fermenting my mash.

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register