Navigation Menu

Instant potatoe flake

on

Home Forum… Recipes/Ingredients Instant potatoe flake

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Boog2ww
      Participant

Can you make a mash out of instant potatoe flake plus malted barley. I feel like it should work. They are way cheap at the sams club. I tried and only managed mash potatoes I used a whole bag for a five gallon mash. I’m thinking a bag would of been enough for ten gallon. Maybe just come up 7″ in my bucket 120 degree water stir cool add barley???

Boog2ww
      Participant

120 temp wouldn’t work id probly have to start around 158 160ish let it steep until 150 then add barley

I’ve never made anything with instant potatoes- I would think it would get quite starchy.
      Did you add sugar to the batch you did?

Are you trying to do a potato vodka?

Boog2ww
        Participant

I tried it once but used to many flakes wound up with mashed potatoes. I’m not planning on adding sugar was going to let malted barley convert my starch. I like to use corn flake for my good stuff. But it’s expensive and I love to run my still so every time I’m in sams club I’m looking for cheap stuff to run. I’m also thinking of trying canned peaches the big cans at SAMs in heavy syrup just purée add yeast. Put fresh peach slices in finished product. But yes vodka if it works and I could just give to friends that just want to say they got shine save good stuff for me

I think it will work but I’m not sure it is going to be worth the effort. I have no idea how much sugar you will be able to convert from the starch from the potatoes… but I have a feeling the mash is going to be like glue and near impossible to strain to run in the still.
      I would try on a small batch- maybe 1 gallon
      add the malted barley around 150 and let it rest for an hour or so and see what happens.

Boog2ww
      Participant

I tried a 5 gal. Batch today put a paint strainer bag in my bucket with flakes poured 160 water in waited for 150 added 6 row let it steep. Then removed the bag just waiting to pitch yeast

How did this turn out?

Boog2ww
      Participant

I never tried it again. I’m done trying new stuff my corn recipe is making good whiskey

Boog2ww
      Participant

I’m sorry you were talking about the potato flake. It was just ok not nothing I’ll do again

Viewing 7 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register