Navigation Menu

Newbie trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Newbie trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jenkns7
      Participant

I’m a newbie, my grandfather was a shiner back in the 50s-60s-70s and I’m just trying to carry on some sort of tradition within my family. I only have a small 1 gallon still and I have ran it 3 times. First time I had a bad leak and didnt realize u Gil it was too late,but managed to get about 3-4 shots worth out of it, second run I filled the still too much and the mash boiled over into my thumper…I just made a run today and thought I had everything perfect, but 3 hours later….not even one drop. The thumper stRted bubbkinv so idk where I really went wrong, I’m about 90% sure I had no leaks..

JimmySutton
      Keymaster

I just made a run today and thought I had everything perfect, but 3 hours later….not even one drop. The thumper stRted bubbkinv so idk where I really went wrong, I’m about 90% sure I had no leaks..

What are you using as a heat source? How hot were you running the still? Did you see any vapor coming out of the boiler/thumper? Usually when it is not producing it is from not enough heat our a leak where the vapor is escaping from-

How big or a thumper are you using with the 1 gallon boiler?

Jenkns7
      Participant

I was using charcoal on my grill, it’s a small set up, the thumper is a 1 gallon glass mason jar. Like I said before I’m about 90% sure I didn’t have any leaks…I saw some vapor but not a lot in the thumper, I’m thinking that maybe the thumper may be too big for the set up? I’m not really too sure how hot the still was running at because I don’t have a thermometer to read….

JimmySutton
        Keymaster

It is very hard to regulate heat on a charcoal grill. I would use a small electric hot plate- 1500 watts would be more than enough. The BroilKing 1500 watt works great. The thumper is too big for the still- the thumper should be 30-40% the size of your main boiler. I would use a smaller thumper and use an electric heat source— you want to be able to easily adjust the heat.

Jenkns7
          Participant

Ok thank you for you advice. Much appreciated my friend.

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register