Navigation Menu

on

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mrmoonshiner
      Participant

Hey guys new at this,can any one give me alittle info what temps to run at and if you re run your finish product do you add it back in the pot by itself or with new mash? I read about ferminting to a % mark,what is that most receipes I have sat to fermint for 3 to 5 days then ready to still.

what temps to run at- I crank the heat on my still and turn the heat down once it starts producing. If I am doing a spirit run I like to see 6-8 drips a second. If I am doing a stripping run- I run it hotter and faster- a little stream.

and if you re run your finish product do you add it back in the pot by itself or with new mash?
      If I am going to re-run a usually do a few stripping runs until I’ve collected enough for a spirit run. If I run a batch I am not happy with I will add it into the still with the next wash.

I read about fermenting to a % mark,what is that most recipes I have sat to ferment for 3 to 5 days then ready to still.
      Ferment until it is finished. The only way to know when fermentation is finished is by using a hydrometer. Most of my mashes take at least 7 days days to ferment- but that will depend on temp,yeast,and starting gravity of the mash.

Mrmoonshiner
      Participant

Thanks Richard so what should the SG be at start and finish.

Mrmoonshiner
      Participant

ok what is a stripping run and a spirit run,can I save my left over mash left in the still for another run latter on,and would i use this to replace soe of the water and add the same amount of ingrediants as the first batch or do you need to cut some down.

ok what is a stripping run and a spirit run,

A stripping run is used to quickly separate the alcohol from the water in the still. Cuts are not made during a stripping run- the still is ran hot and fast. Everything is collected- a few stripping runs are completed and then everything(everything collected is referred to the low wines) is added to a still for a spirit run.
      spirit run- this is a run that is ran low and slow- cuts are made – the middle part of the run ( the hearts) are what we are after during a spirit run.

can I save my left over mash left in the still for another run latter on,and would i use this to replace soe of the water and add the same amount of ingrediants as the first batch or do you need to cut some down.

I don’t save anything in my still- once the still is ran water is pretty much the only thing that remains. i think you might be referring to a sour mash? A sour mash http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/14266917-how-to-make-sour-mash

Viewing 4 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register