Navigation Menu

Physics – Reducing Run Time

on

Home Forum… Still Discussion Physics – Reducing Run Time

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      MinnesotaShine
      Participant

How can I reduce my run time without compromising quality on a spirit run? After a few years I have found a perfect recipe of corn, rye, barley, always settling in around 7.25% ABV. After adding in previous runs’ feints I settle in consistently around 10% starting ABV.

I run two side by side 10g stills (clawhammersupply) with packed columns. I run only a spirit run, very slowly, dripping 1oz every 4-5 minutes. In all, I collect 85% of alcohol but takes 12hrs to run (after boil starts).

Who can help me understand the physics behind the distillate throughput? I cannot add heat without compromising quality. My guess is it has everything to do with column volume and nothing to do with boiler size?

My column is 1.25″ (ID) by 20″ high, having a volume of ~24.54 cubic inches. If column capacity is the answer, would I double my throughput and half my run time by doubling my column capacity (24.54 * 2 = 49cin)? If so, does it matter if the gain comes entirely in diameter (1.75″ x 20″) or entirely in height (1.25″ x 40″)? Or is there a height/diameter ratio that needs to be maintained when scaling up?

Or is the answer to reduce run time something entirely different?

Viewing 0 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register