Navigation Menu

Proof of my shine is low

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Proof of my shine is low

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Worm.man4915
      Participant

Beginner here, just got done with my first run of shine. After the first pint jar I was at 100 proof or just below (hydrometer). My mash recipe goes as follows
      -1lb. Of sugar
      -1lb. Of corn meal
      -1 gallon of distilled water
      -1 packet of highly active yeast

I let it ferment for 5 days with an air lock at which point it stopped releasing CO2 (no more bubbles) i then seperated the liquid from the corn meal via a flat strainer. I ran it up to 176 degrees in the pot (gas stove) and then tuned the stove down all the way to almost nothing. It maintained temp and eventually continued to rise. At the 178ish mark it began to run through my copper worm (ice water inside to cool it) and i threw out the first bit and tested the proof after it ran enough to fill the hydrometer tube. At that point it was 108 proof and by the time it had filled a jar it was at 100 proof. I see alot of guys geting 150 and up. Where did i go wrong?

Added info, my still it just a pressure cooker with compression fittings for a thermometer and the copper tube for the worm. Also i noticed alot of condensation at the end spout of my worm where the shine comes out. Is it possible water couldve dripped off with the shine thus making it a lower proof? Also any tips on determining if its safe to drink would be helpful. I did do the burn test and it burned blue however there was unburnable liquid left over on the spoof after the flame quit (there was no invisible flame) possibly water or something worse? And also any tips on better mash recipes or techniques would be helpful. Like i said this was my first time and im just looking to get better and make an enjoyable drink for myself and my buddies when they come over. Thanks!

Viewing 0 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register