Navigation Menu

Rookies have a few questions

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Rookies have a few questions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Blackmax13
      Participant

We are running a small one gallon copper on an electric eye. Broiler thermometer is on the way, but in our anxious practice runs we just have a grill thermometer in the column. What temp should we be looking for? I understand that pure ethanol boils at 174 F and water at 212 F. We have made a white grape sugar wash for the trial runs. (Not sure if that matters in determing a temp) any help would be much appreciated.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

What temp should we be looking for?
      I would focus more on the speed of the product coming out of the stil- temperature is important but I mainly use it to make notes on my runs. Here is what I do-

Crank the heat on my still until it starts to produce (the boiler temp will read around 190 or so when it starts producing- I use my boiler thermometer as a guide for how long it is going to take to heat up)

As soon as it starts to produce I turn the heat down until I have a slight trickle- 5-8 drips a second- (I don’t like to see a stream)

Dump the first 2/3 of a shot glass that comes off of the still- this will be methanol

Use small collection jars- and label them starting with 1 and go up. (with a 1 gallon still I would use very small collection jars as it is hard to make tight cuts with a small still)

Make notes while distilling- what was the boiler temp when you started producing?
      What was the vapor temp when you started producing?
      What was the temp for jar 1
      what was the temp for jar 2…down the line

I use temp as a tool- it is helpful but it is not everything.

I understand that pure ethanol boils at 174 F and water at 212 F.

Blackmax13
        Participant

Thank you for the tips! Cant wait to try. It seems to me that the way you describe it, there is really no “correct” answer to my question. You just have to try. I will report back anymore questions, (as im sure there will be a few more) Thanks again!

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Temperature will vary depending on:
      Elevation
      Starting ABV of the wash

There is a good chart on the clawhammer site:
      http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/12243869-making-moonshine-still-temperature

Blackmax13
      Participant

BeverageCommander, how should I make my cuts? 2/3 of an ounce for my foreshots, what should the ratio be for heads, hearts, and tails?

This is a general percentage

Foreshorts- 5% or less of the run
      Heads: 20-30% or less of the run
      Hearts: 30-40% or less of the run
      Tails: 20-30% or less of the run

Ryan30523
      Participant

> So if I have a5 gallon stovetop steel and a 5 gallon mesh mix should get me
      > one gallon of fluid now my question is sometimes I’m coming up short one
      > time I got three quarts the other time I got two could you please tell me
      > why or what you think would be the reason thanks

BeverageCommander
      Participant

What are you running your tails down to?

what is the starting ABV of the wash on each run?

Viewing 6 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register