Navigation Menu

Scorched still!

on

Home Forum… General Distilling Discussion Scorched still!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Roninmaine
      Participant

Hello, I am hoping you can help me- I have a copper pot still, and the first time I ran it I evidently did not strain the mash well enough and well, you know where this is going. I scorched my still- I have done the best I can to clean it- and I can still taste the remnant of it in my product. I have done 3-4 batches since then. What can I do to fix this? I really appreciate your time… Ron in Maine

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Ron,
      I would dump a few gallons of white vinegar into the still and let it boil for an hour. Dump the vinegar on the weeds in your driveway.(it will kill grass etc) Rinse it out really well with water-
      I would then follow it
      up with a PBW (pro brewery wash) which can be found at your local homebrew shop (or online) http://www.biyhomebrewsupply.com/products/pbw1lb
      Make a solution of the PBW to fill the entire still-follow the directions on the package but I think it works best at 160 degrees (or something like that) That should help, repeat if you still have issues.

Emmet

Roninmaine
      Participant

Ok, I will do just that! thank you for the help here. I really appreciate it. I have a lot of learning to do. Now I know this probably sounds stupid, but I wont hurt my still by getting it hot enough to boil? I would not think it would-

BeverageCommander
      Participant

nope- the still will be fine boiling.

keep us posted.

I always strain my grains before I ferment, but a lot of guys strain after. I find it easier and cleaner to do before (like in brewing)

Roninmaine
      Participant

Ok, that is good info. I will do the vinegar run this week sometime. I will let you know how it all goes. Thanks so much. Ron in Maine~

Viewing 4 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register