Navigation Menu

Stripping or Spirit Run?

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum Stripping or Spirit Run?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      DustinBucks
      Participant

Hi there, my question is a little off topi but since we are already talking about strawberry shine…The wash I’ve ended up with is very clear aND I used a wine yeast…Very smooth already nice high ABV drinkable wine
      …Next week I am doing my first run and the recipie here calla for a “stripping run”….Since my wash is already clear and high ABV…Wouldon’t I risk losing flavor doing a 2nd run? thnx

What type of still are you using?

DustinBucks
      Participant

clawhammer all copper 10 gallon

A lot of it is personal preference- time- etc…. It sounds like you don’t plan on making more of this mash and doing multiple stripping runs to fill up a still for a spirit run- Just do spirit run as you will get a very good full flavored product- Pack the column with quite a few copper scrubbers and do a single slow run.

If you have time down the road I would suggest trying the stripping run/spirit run. I personally like to do stripping runs- If I have the time to make multiple batches of mash- do multiple stripping runs- etc..

Stripping runs don’t take much time- just run it hot and fast- as you want to keep as much flavor as possible. and once you have a few stripping runs saved do a spirit run. I like the clean flavor a stripping/sprit run gives… but it is also personal preference- that is the beauty of this hobby-

If I were you sitting on that wine- I’d pack my column full of copper and do a nice slow spirit run making good tight cuts.

DustinBucks
        Participant

Thanks for the info…I was reluctant tO pack my column because I thought packing the column was to trap alot of the fients…Wouldn’t I want to retain these fients to keep the strawberry flavor in the liquor?

copper packing removes sulfur compounds which I feel produces a cleaner final product.

Checkout this article-

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/7486102-distillation-column-packing-for-higher-proof

DustinBucks
      Participant

When I do this long spirit run with the packed column…What mash temp should I shoot for? I plan on discarding the foreshots…then collecting the entire run in pint sized mason jars numbering them as I go…I’ll be testing proof, scent, and taste of each one. I was going to keep collecting until the proof falls to 80. Does this sound like a sold plan?

While my still is warming up I monitor the boiler temperature. Once the boiler temp is around 130 I add my flour paste. Once I’m around 150 or so I turn on my cooling water to my inline condenser. I will get a few drips as it heats up but normally I start seeing product in the low 190s. (it will depend on your mash ABV and altitude) Just crank the heat until you see production and then turn it down to 5-8 drips a second. You will have to increase the temperature a few times during the run- just to this by flow- keep 5-8 drips a second.
      I collect my tails until 20 proof or 10%.

checkout this article as well
      http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/12243869-making-moonshine-still-temperature

DustinBucks
      Participant

Okay got it thanks…However, I’m finding it hard to determine how would would measure 5-8 drops in a single second…Is there another unit of measure to determine 5-8 drops per second? Also, the electric home distiller converter boxes…In your opinion, are they worth the money?

You want a steady fast drip- not a stream. That is probabbly the best way to say it.

The controller works really well- I like the fact I can just set the power to 100% at the beginning of the run and then once I start producing turn it down to 75-80%. I like to use the percentage or power, but you can also just set a temp and it will hold it– you just have to adjust it a few times during the run.

The thing I really like is the alarm- I’ll set the alarm for 130 and have the power on 100%- once it his 130 I apply my paste-
      I then set the alarm for 150- I turn on my condenser water
      I then set the alarm for 185 as I know I’ll be soon producing.

It works well and I think it makes the day a bit easier.

Viewing 8 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register