Navigation Menu

taste like gas

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum taste like gas

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mariposa moonshine
      Participant

Hello. I built a 1 gallon stove top still to familiarize myself with things. For my first batch I ran a gallon of box sangria. I threw out the first shot glass full and got a mason jar full of crystal clear shine. I lite a bit on fire and got a blue flame. But its so strong it taste like fruity gas. Lol. What can I mix it with to taste better?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Good stuff on dumping the foreshots

It sounds like you collected everything in the one jar.
      You will get a much better tasting final product if you make good cuts-

I would recommend on the next run- using very small collection jars (because you are using such a small still)
      label each jar (start with 1 and go up)
      You will be able to notice the different parts of the run this way- it is a good way to start to learn about cuts
      Give each jar a taste at the end of the run- you will be able to tell the heads,hearts,tails – we are after the hearts- that is the good stuff.
      Once you have a few runs down you will be able to make the cuts while running-

Mariposa moonshine
        Participant

I’ll try that. Thanks! So is this stuff no good because its all in one jar?

Zymurgy Bob
      Participant

Here’s a couple of links to guides to “Make the Cuts”, the process where you select what part of that distillate to save for drinking.
      http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/ReadMeFirst/MakingTheCuts.html
      http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13261
      Kiwi’s got some good graphics in that second link.

Mariposa moonshine
        Participant

I got a tip from someone that helped with the taste a lot. They told me to leave the jar open a few days and the acetone would evaporate. I don’t know how true that I’d but I can drink it with out it burning my lips off now

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register