Thermometer

on

Home Forum… Still Discussion Thermometer

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      RickR
      Participant

If one was to install a thermometer in a still, which would be better. Install one in the pot to measure mash cooking temperature? Or install one in the Cap to measure alcohol vapor temperature? I also understand that most old school guys say that you will not need one once you understand the rig that you are using. I think I am looking to just better understand what is actually happening within the distilling process.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Rick- I agree with most old school guys..but I do use my boiler thermometer more than I would like to admit—It is very helpful while the still is heating up- I like the ability to glance at the temp as it gives me a really good idea how close I am to producing product. If I were to install one- I would do the boiler. That being said I have one in my boiler and column- I use them mainly for notes and reference during a run.

RickR
      Participant

Thank you for your input. That is pretty much what I thought. I would just like to use them for a reference and note taking to compare batches. But being a newbie, I was thinking that the thermometer in the cap would be a better location to help determine the cuts. My reason for thinking this is I have read that mash that has different alcohol content will boil at different temperatures and a mash temp of 174deg may or may not be a good rule for determining the good spirits. My thought is that if a thermometer is placed in the cap, a vapor reading of 174deg would be a more accurate method for making cuts. Just looking at the pro’s and con’s of both locations if I was to use one thermometer. Ideally I would like the 2 of them like you for my notes. I guess I am just second guessing myself until I gain more experience.

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

I have a thermocouple at the top of the column on both the pot still and the reflux still. Vapor temperatures are more important to me than boiler temperature.

RickR
      Participant

Thank you. That’s exactly my thought as well.

Zymurgy Bob
      Participant

I run an electronic thermometer right at the top of my potstill’s riser, and it gives me a pretty good idea of where I am I am in the run, and when to shut down (usually at 98 or 99C, and that’s probably beating a dead horse). I wish I had a sensor (and I’m working on that now) right in my wash, so I could more easily gauge when it’s about time to start collecting.

As far as what to do with that 174F number, if you’re potstilling all it means is you aren’t boiling yet (unless you’re starting with pure ethanol in your boiler, and that’s not likely, or even useful). Depending on the ethanol concentration in your boiler, you’ll start boiling at from about 180F to 205F (50% ABV or 5%ABV, about the extreme ranges of wash ABV’s).

If you’re running a reflux still, a head temp (NOT boiler temp) of 174F, if you can do it, is great for getting flavorless azeotrope.

Viewing 5 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register