Navigation Menu

Using pears

on

Home Forum… Recipes/Ingredients Using pears

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bjay012000
      Participant

Just wondering if anyone has used pears for making a whiskey? I have access to pear tree and would like to try something other than sugar shine. Unfortunately at the moment i only have access to an air still. Winter plans include making proper still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I would follow the same procedure for many any fruit brandy:

Basic Brandy Recipe:

One part fruit juice or fruit puree to two parts good water.

2.5 pounds cane sugar per gallon of mash
      Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast.
      You want to obliterate the fruit in a 1000 watt blender. (with apples, you need to add good apple cider about a third of the way up the pitcher in the blender in order to loosen up the apples.) Add the sugar into the fermenter and strain the fruit jusice into it. You want to make sure all of the sugar is completely dissolved. Dump in the rest of the water, let it cool to 80°, then pitch your yeast. Do not add yeast nutrient. It speeds up the fermentation. The longer the fermentation, the better the flavor development.

It should go 14 days and give you 18% ABV. Let the wine settle for five or six days, siphon it off and let it settle for a month, Run and age it in un-charred white oak chips The settling before distillation cleans up the taste of the booze because you’re not cooking the yeast during the run.

Viewing 1 reply thread

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register