What did i do

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum What did i do

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      BjacobMerkel
      Participant

Something may have gone wrong.. I ran my first run ever of just regular blue moon recipes corn and 2 round barely.. I also added some sugar and a packet of bread yeast.. it took about a week and half to ferment and when I ran it. The finish produck came out with a thick viscosity. It does light blue when put on fire. With the books I read they said that when the run feels oily it is twsrds the end of the run and to start looking for the rainbow or oil on water colors in the mash.. or is this normal. I drink a few shots. But to best taste . Any help

BjacobMerkel
      Participant

Not the best taste.. wasn’t exspecting amazing quality. It takes time but worried about the viscosity.. I also have a thumper on my set up. I braught the temp up slow but the steam wasn’t heating up the thumper and pushing out.had to run at 185 190. To get the steam pressure I needed to hear up thumper and come out..

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I run a simple column still- I don’t run a thumper- so I can’t help too much on that.
      Usually when my run gets oily it is during the later portion of the runs- the tails.

Where are you measuring your temperatures for the thumpers?

Did you make cuts during the run or just collect everything together?

BjacobMerkel
      Participant

I have a temp point in the middle of my pot. Just added a tumper on so could run once and done.. I got a laser thermometer. But not thinking straight it reflects off stainless. It’s a big set up. 15 to 20 gall. Just wanted to run a jar or so in remembering my grandfather. I had a few leaks but sealed up with flower and water.. the first drip out of work was oily… Are tails.not good to drink….

BeverageCommander
      Participant

What was your mash process / and ingredients list?

BjacobMerkel
      Participant

The simple blue moonshine recipe that you gave me on another form. All I did was add some sugar. I did not strain all the corn out with a put in barrel. Maybe a few that was the cause..

BeverageCommander
      Participant

How much corn? How much water? how much sugar? How much yeast? What yeast?

BjacobMerkel
      Participant

5 lbs corn 3 lbs 2 row barley.5 pound sugar. One packet bread yeast

BeverageCommander
      Participant

How many gallons of water?

BjacobMerkel
      Participant

5 gall..x3 for a 15 gall run…

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Do you make 3 separate 5 gallon mashes ?

BjacobMerkel
      Participant

Yes.

That should yield about an 8% abv mash- The heads should not seem thick or feel oily.
      If you run the tails pretty low (I always do) they can start to feel feel pretty oily and be more viscous.

If you are not happy with the final product and it does not look right or feel right I would re-run it in the still. Proof the product down with distilled water if you do re-run it. I run my low wines or anyhting I’m re-doing at 40% max.

Have you had this issue with any other runs?

Always run your still on distillate output and not by temp- a temp gauge can be a good tool- but always adjust the heat by the flow coming out of the still. I run mine slow- about 10 drips a second- I like to see the individual drips- I keep it right below a slow stream.

Viewing 12 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register