Navigation Menu

When to stop

on

Home Forum… Beginners distilling Forum When to stop

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Junkmanlouie
      Participant

I’m dis tilling the honey ‘shine from clawhammer recipe. When should I quit ? It still has a great honey smell and is a steady drip at 210 degF. Filling a third pint. Was going to call the last two the tails but it seems to be running well. The cuts beyond the foreshot are difficult to tell.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I like to run my tails until they are at the same alcohol percentage of the wash I started with.

The honey wash I make is normally around 10% so I run my tails down to 10% or 20 proof. I save my tails and will add them back into my next honey wash.

Sexfreak
      Participant

is it possible to go over 212? seeing as that is when water boils?

The boiling point of water will be over 212 if you are below sea level. I’d make sure you calibrate your thermometer as well.

Junkmanlouie
      Participant

I tasted it after posting and shut it down. Nothing was left. Saved the tails for the next run (Thanks Beverage commander). It didn’t get boiling. I didn’t think that was the point. Still learning. Thanks for the input. By now I have run the tails of this batch thru and the second was as good as the first. The Honey is a really good starting place.

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

Hey Richard, just out of curiosity, does your dad live in Rozel Ks? I worked at Burdett Ks for 30 years, and a Richard Coleman lived in Roselle..did some business there at the co-op.in Burdett.

Viewing 5 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register