Navigation Menu

blue agave nectar shine

on

Home Forum… Recipes/Ingredients blue agave nectar shine

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Jimiquila
      Participant

Has anyone had success using blue agave nectar? I am looking for a good recipe for tequila shine.

I have been thinking about doing a batch- I have not made this yet… but this would be interesting to make. I am not sure how much like tequila it would taste– but I bet you will get a very good tequila/mexican style spirit.

If I were to make it I would do the following:

Ingredients:
      120 ounces of blue agave nectar
      4.0 gallons of water
      1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
      2 packets of bread yeast

Starting gravity should be somewhere around 1.070

I’d ferment around 80 –

This looks like a decent deal.
      http://goo.gl/9Hsej8

I’d do a stripping run and a spirit run and then age it for a bit- I bet it will taste darn fine.

If you do make something like this please report back- as I’ve been interested in this myself.

Jimiquila
      Participant

Thanks Emmet for the recipe. That one is close to the one I ran last weekend with the addition of the lemon juice. Do you add the lemon juice to the mash prior to fermentation or after?

I add it prior if I do use it- I just use it to adjust the PH of the mash- you should be fine without it.

What brand agave nectar did you end up using?

Please report back with your results- as this is on my list as well.

Jimiquila
      Participant

I used Wholesome Organic Blue Agave, 6 quarts to a 6 gallon wash. Starting running at 180 proof. Collected 5 quarts after cutting total to 100 proof.

What did you run your tails down to?

Are you going to age it on oak?

What do you think of the flavor?

Jimiquila
      Participant

I quit collecting at 40% and collected about a pint of tails. When it dropped to 40% ABV, the taste really changed, kinda like cardboard. What I collected was some pretty good spirits. my friends and I set around and have a proofing party. When I collect enough to fill the beaker for proofing, I cut that with distilled water, re-proof to 100 and let everyone have a taste before adding it to my keeper jar. I’m no expert but do enjoy learning as much as I can about distilling. I’ve been sprouting and cracking white corn to make a mash also and it makes some very good spirits after filtering through activated carbon.

Jimiquila
      Participant

Richard, I plan to age the next batch I run in a 5 gallon oak barrel for about a month. The taste was pretty good, and a spirit run would have made it even better I think.

Right on- keep us posted on your progress. Once I have some time this sounds like it would be fun to play with.

Jimiquila
        Participant

I thought I’d report the result of my recent attempt at agave mash. The best result so far has been 6 quarts of agave nectar to 5 gallons of distilled water. The stripping run produced almost 2 gallons of 80 proof. I am doing a second batch and will hopefully produce another 2 gallons of 80 proof so that we can run the 4 gallons of 40% ABV through on a spirit run. Will report back the results when that if finished. The final product will be aged for 1 month in oak.

Tinker
      Participant

Sounds great. Did you finish your spirit run?

Im trying to distill my own tequila at home. I know you need to have a oak barrel and have to distill for 2 weeks but I need a list of ingredients a a step by step on how to do it. Can any one help?

Viewing 10 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register