Navigation Menu

Failed all grain mash

on

Home Forum… Fermentation & Yeast Failed all grain mash

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Boog2ww
      Participant

I bought some reall expensive peated malt. Pretty sure I got it to hot during mashing. I was thinking of buying some regular malted barley. And using the failed peated wash for my mashing water to keep the smokey flavor and using the malted grain for my sugar.

Boog2ww
      Participant

Are I could just cheat and add some corn sugar

BeverageCommander
      Participant

What was your mash process?
      What was your recipe?
      Did you take a starting gravity reading of the mash?

Boog2ww
      Participant

13lbs 6row
      13lbs peated barley

Got mash water 160ish added grain kill heat stired covered. My heat dropped to 140 in about 20 minutes. So I added heat my thermoter must of got stuck cause I got no rise in temp then all of a sudden it shot up to 170 I cooled it quickly with a gallon of water brought it two 150ish. My bubblers were not bubbling,but last night I took the lids of and I could visually see lots of micro bubbles. I think my wash is fine. I didn’t take a gravity reading

Boog2ww
      Participant

I did two ten gallon batchies and they are both fermenting slow like that. Guess I’m just used to a more violent ferment with corn

The only real way to know if you got good conversion is with a hydrometer or refractometer.

Refractometer: http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Media-1-000-1-130SG-Refractometer-RSG-100ATC/dp/B00CO9BX6U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431987523&sr=8-4&keywords=refractometer

hydrometer: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homebrewing-and-Winemaking-Supplies/dp/B0064O94I0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431987560&sr=8-2&keywords=brewing+hydrometer

Without knowing the starting gravity there is no way to know what the estimated ABV of the wash will be- it is also hard to troubleshoot if something does go wrong with the mash.
      It sounds like a very nice recipe: keep us posted- I have not done anything over 30% peated malt and it could have definitely used a bit more peat flavor

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Did the ever finish fermenting? Did you run them?

Viewing 6 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register