Fermentation problem

on

Home Forum… Fermentation & Yeast Fermentation problem

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jkoe
      Participant

I’m having a problem I can’t seem to figure out.. I made a mash using fruit . I made the mash fermented it the first go round but noticed that that Alcohol content wasn’t that high . So I added more sugar to it brought it back up to a specific gravity of 1.040……. > 25 % ABV activated the Turbo Yeast in a glass with 2 Tsp of sugar and 104 F Water .. Then I pitched it into the mash.. And airated it… I added 2 1/2 Tsp of yeast nutrient to it … So far after 12 hrs I still have no activation .
      > Is the existing Alcohol in the mash over powering the yeast ?
      > Or is the sugar ?
      > Should I get Distillers yeast ?
      > And if that is the case can I mix it with the existing yeast ?
      > What can I do to kick this off ?

BeverageCommander
      Participant

I made a mash using fruit . I made the mash fermented it the first go round but noticed that that Alcohol content wasn’t that high

What was the starting gravity of the mash?

So I added more sugar to it brought it back up to a specific gravity of 1.040……. > 25 % ABV activated the Turbo Yeast in a glass with 2 Tsp of sugar and 104 F Water .. Then I pitched it into the mash.. And airated it

Was the mash completely fermented out when you added the sugar or was it sill fermenting?

Damien
      Participant

I just started a mash on Friday night and it is now Sunday.  My mash is made of 1.25 pounds of cornmeal, 5 pounds of sugar, 5 gallons of water, and 2 teaspoons of yeast as said. My mash had started to bubble right away but by morning it stopped. I added some more yeast after letting it sit with water and sugar in a warm jar for 20 mins then added it to the mash. Today it is still not bubbling but the top layer of my mash is a white foam. What does that mean?

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register