Navigation Menu

Second Fermentation

on

Home Forum… Fermentation & Yeast Second Fermentation

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Skidzz23
      Participant

Is a secondary fermentation vessel needed? If so what is the process for moving the wash from one vessel to the next? Or is secondary fermentation even a required process?

Mike

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Mike,

It is not a needed process. I ferment everything in primary- I don’t do any secondary with my mashes.

Thebrains
      Participant

secondary only if trying to make good wine (racking)

Thebrains
      Participant

What you ferment in is typically a w 5 gal fleet farm bucket or a 5 gallon water cooler jug. You could even use a 30 gal plastic garbage can they are made of type 5 plastic it is safe. Fermenting is easy not hard sugar water yeast. I used my own pee once added sugar and yeast to it and it fermented just fine. Fermentation is not hard some company’s use open fermentation (no lid) because the bacteria in the air is not a threat it is only a threat if you listen to people who know nothing about distilling. Im the smartest one on this site I should be an admin.

Jkoe
      Participant

I’m having a problem I can’t seem to figure out.. I made a mash using fruit . I made the mash fermented it the first go round but noticed that that Alcohol content wasn’t that high . So I added more sugar to it brought it back up to a specific gravity of 1.040……. > 25 % ABV activated the Turbo Yeast in a glass with 2 Tsp of sugar and 104 F Water .. Then I pitched it into the mash.. And airated it… I added 2 1/2 Tsp of yeast nutrient to it … So far after 12 hrs I still have no activation .
      > Is the existing Alcohol in the mash over powering the yeast ?
      > Or is the sugar ?
      > Should I get Distillers yeast ?
      > And if that is the case can I mix it with the existing yeast ?
      > What can I do to kick this off ?

Viewing 4 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register