Navigation Menu

Yeast and flavor

on

Home Forum… Fermentation & Yeast Yeast and flavor

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Slag686
      Participant

How important is the type of yeast strain. I have tried a basic whiskey yeast, Tennessee yeast and a Scottish yeast on three batches but I have not seen a taste difference between the yeast strains after distilling. Would the yeast back notes come out during oak aging? I made and corn,rye, sugar mash for all three yeast strains. I’m aging each batch with the same type of oak chips for several months to see what the end result will be.

BeverageCommander
      Participant

Yeast plays an important role but from my experience it is not as pronounced as it is in brewing. In brewing you can easily taste the difference between an american ale yeast and a british ale yeast- and you can easily tell the difference between a higher fermentation temp and a lower one.
      With distilling I have noticed that the distilling process removes most of the yeast flavor. I still don’t use turbo yeast as I have had really bad results with it. I use bread yeast for my rum as that works great. I use US05 brewers yeast for my single malts, and I have been mixing it up with my corn mash.
      If you pitch a good amount of healthy yeast, don’t ferment too hot, ferment all the way out- you will get good results. Find a yeast or two that work well for you, or just keep experimenting.

Thebrains
      Participant

??? no… bread yeast is the same strain as brewers yeast, brewers yeast is simply more tolerant of higher alcohol content. Yeast does not flavor your shine. With strong yeast you have better tasting shine because you run into the tail later.

Viewing 2 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register