Navigation Menu

Yeast question

on

Home Forum… Fermentation & Yeast Yeast question

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Junkmanlouie
      Participant

I have a batch of the honey ‘shine started. I just sprinkled the yeast into the liquid. I think it has done nothing this past week because it was not “activated” prior to adding it in. My question is……do I start over or can I add some activated yeast to it and let it continue since the original yeast is probably dead. I used the fleischmanns yeast.

No need to start over- it is still fine.

If you can take a hydrometer reading now- and let us know what it is.

If it is still high then pitch some more yeast- we have good results with this method-
      http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/11824025-bourbon-whiskey-vodka-and-moonshine-how-much-yeast

Junkmanlouie
        Participant

Checked the wash. The reading was 1.010

what was the original reading?

Junkmanlouie
        Participant

Did not take a reading originally.

I would think it is finished if you are at 1.010- that is a pretty decent FG. for honey.

What was your recipe?

Junkmanlouie
      Participant

Thanks for the input Richard. My patience is lacking. I activated another batch of yeast per the instructions you referred to @ the clawhammer site. Added it already. Did I ruin this? My recipe is the clawhammer site’s Honey ‘shine.

It is not ruined it might just be a bit yeasty. I’d let it sit a few more days- see if you drop a few more points-
      other than that just let the yeast settle and use an auto siphon and leave it behind when you transfer it to the still.

Ozarks-Irishman
      Participant

Good advice …no worries, just distill and enjoy!!

Did you run this batch?

Viewing 7 reply threads

you should log in to reply to this topic.

Need an account? Click here to register